Swimmers hospitalized after being overcome by chemical fumes

It was a 90-degree afternoon, and the Garfield Park pool was packed. David Yates, 13, had just zipped down a slide and splashed into the water when he noticed a bad taste in his mouth — like bleach. At the same time — across a pool that features shallow wading areas, two large water slides and a children’s playhouse — others were making the same discovery. Mayhem ensued. Jamie Rahmany, in the baby pool with her son, noticed kids coughing around her. Patricia Tanner, a mother of three sitting just out of the pool, saw children vomiting. And Shari Patton, a mother with … [Read more...]